Bikes on public transport
Make cycling part of your journey
It’s easy to make cycling part of your daily commute to work or school!
Cycle storage at your station
Cycle to your station and store your bike with peace of mind by using one of our free-to-use cycle storage facilities at any of the bus, Metro or rail stations across the West Midlands. The type of storage available varies by station, so be sure to check before you travel.
Select your station
Available at Rowley Regis, Longbridge, Selly Oak and Stourbridge Junction rail stations. Cycle Hubs offer the most superior cycle storage in the West Midlands.
Why choose the Hub…
- It’s free of charge with no deposit required
- Spacious and fully covered storage keeping your bike from going to rust
- 24 hour smartcard access
- CCTV monitoring and emergency help points
Access hours vary and you can gain access by talking to the staff at the Ticket Offices at these Stations. For more information speak with station staff or contact Virgin Trains directly.
Lockers and stands
Cycle lockers offer safe storage and weather protection for your bike, and are available to hire annually at many rail stations. You can have lifetime access for a £20 returnable deposit, which ensures that there is always a reserved locker just for you. Availability is currently limited, so please check our facilities map for more information. Apply for a cycle locker.
Cycle stands are placed at many locations across the network. Feel free to secure your bike to any stands available. Please note the cycle locker terms and conditions also apply to stands.
You can carry your bike on most trains in the West Midlands, but operators do have differing policies. You may need to reserve a spot for your bike beforehand or check the time of day that you can travel with your bike onto the train.
Some general rules that apply to all train services in the region
- Folding bicycles are welcome at any time and without charge, provided they are folded and can be stored without inconveniencing other passengers
- Motorbikes, mopeds, motor scooters, motorised cycles and tandem bicycles are not allowed on any services
- Bicycles should never be unaccompanied on trains. Bicycles are always carried at the discretion of onboard staff
- Bicycles are always to be stored onboard in the designated area on the train. Look out for this area as each operator has a different type of storage area and location onboard.
Train operator rules
Each train operator has a slightly different set of rules about travelling with your bicycle.
- West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway
- Chiltern Railways
- Transport for Wales
Before you travel, check operator cycle guidelines at National Rail Enquiries.
Bus and tram
Only folding bikes are permitted on buses and trams in the West Midlands Network area. You can hire one for a low daily rate at one of three Brompton Docks in Birmingham City Centre.
Visit Brompton Bike Hire to hire a folding bike.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stay up to date
Don't miss out on vital information, sign up today and be in the know at all times.