Greener and cleaner
The West Midlands is fast becoming an electric city with more charging points being installed than ever before, thanks to projects such as Plugged-in Midlands.
Thinking of going electric?
Join the electric revolution and do your part in improving the air quality in your region while spending less on filling up. Electric car benefits include:
- Zero tail pipe emissions
- Exemption from Vehicle Excise Duty (car tax)
- Extremely quiet
- Cheap to run (as low as 2p per mile depending on your charging tariff)
There are number of government funded projects and incentives to encourage more people to take up electric cars and vans. For more information visit The Office for Low Emission Vehicles
Register to charge
To charge in the West Midlands you will just need to register and pay for a Plugged-In Midlands membership card.
Where to charge
Publicly accessible charging points are available at rail stations and community car parks across the West Midlands.
Tile Hill - powered by renewable energy sources
Yardley Wood - powered by renewable energy sources
Longbridge Railway Station
Visit Plugged-in Midlands for a full list of West Midland's community charging points.
How to charge
Before driving out to charge up, remember to check the status of your preferred charging point.
View live charge point status on the PiM Charge Point Map
To start the charge:
- If the Charge Point has an available socket, begin by plugging your charge cable into your vehicle*
- Show the RFID membership card to the RFID reader on the front of the post
- The post will then offer an available socket
- Lift the door and plug in the vehicle
- The charging will start automatically. Notice the LEDs on the back of the post will turn blue (indicating charging)
To finish the charge:
- Show the same RFID membership card to the post that started the charge
- Lift the door and remove the plug
- The door will close and lock shut
- Unplug cable from car and stow
* Please note: You should always connect your charge cable to your car before connecting to a Charging Point or as directed by your vehicle's owner’s manual.
Important Safety Information
- Your charging cable should never be used if it is damaged or has been tampered with. Please check that it is in good condition before plugging it into a Charge Point
- Plug your charging cable into your car before plugging into a Charge Point.
- Do not unplug your charge cable from your car before removing the plug from the Charge Point
- Do not force the Charge Point door open at any time
- If the door is tampered with during charging or the cable is cut, the power will stop immediately
- Anyone who may have difficulty operating a Charge Point should be assisted while commencing and terminating charging
If there are any issues with the Charge Point, contact Plugged-in Midlands Tel: 0845 838 0551