Organisations helping jobseekers
This page is dedicated to you.
Get information about Workwise, become a Workwise partner, sign up for the latest news and event updates and access free resources for all things travel related to support your customers.
If you are an applicant interested in Workwise, discover more information about how we can help.
How Workwise can help
Workwise gives jobseekers a helping hand with travel costs on public transport for their first three months of employment.
The offer is available to jobseekers who live in or are registered with a Job Centre in the West Midlands Combined Authority area to overcome travel barriers.
Find out more below:
Workwise travel support provides 50% off selected travel passes for the first 3 months of a new job.
It’s free for customers to apply, everything is done online and if you don’t have the answer, we provide Workwise application support through our applicant web page, e-mail or by phone.
Our team will recommend a suitable travel pass which will be valid within the West Midlands Area.
- nNetwork for travel on different types of transport: Bus, train and Metro travel
- nBus for travel on different bus operators
- National Express West Midlands bus only
- Metro for travel on Metro only
- Travel outside the area: Contact us for more information.
The Applicant must:
- Live in a West Midlands Combined Authority (WMCA) area or be registered with a Job Centre Plus office in the WMCA area
- Be unemployed or working less than 16 hours per week before applying for Workwise travel support
- Must not have received Workwise travel support for new employment between 1st April and 31st March in the current year.
- Be aged 16 to 65 and not eligible for the 16-18 photocard scheme or the English Concessionary Travel pass scheme.
- Have a valid National Insurance Number
- Be working a total minimum of 16 hours per week
- Apply before or within 5 working days of starting new employment or apprenticeship
- Have an image in a passport style for use on the pass
- Not be in the Department for Work and Pensions Work Programme, Work Choice or Youth Promise Plus
We’re sorry but Workwise travel support can’t help:
- If applicants are being helped by another programme that provides travel support (e.g. Jobcentre Plus referral to the Work Programme, Work Choice or GBS Youth Employment Initiative)
- With travel costs for attending training programmes and interviews
- If applicants don’t abide by our terms and conditions
If someone isn’t eligible for Workwise, use our ticket finder to discover other ways to save on travel.
Applicants can apply themselves using our online application service but may require your help with sourcing the supporting documents needed.
Our team will review the application and send out a travel pass that matches the applicant's personalised journey plan within five working days.
Helping to source the supporting documents needed
You can help provide supporting documents
Proof of unemployment benefit can be a screen shot of applicant benefits, a photograph of a benefit letter or other official proof of benefits. Proof must include the name of applicant.
Proof of employment can be a letter or email from the organisation they will be working for or a Job Centre coach. Proof must include name of employer as well as employee name, role and start date.
Workwise is a hassle-free addition to your work or induction offer helping support travel to work and increase staff retention.
44% of people we surveyed said transport issues played a part in a decision to not accept a job offer.
Workwise helps solve this.
The benefits to you and staff:
- Eligible applicants get 50% off travel passes for up to three months
- Free to apply
- All online
- Managed by Workwise – You make the referral, we do the rest
- Personalised application support, ticket advice and guidance with journey planning
- Customer Service team available by phone, e-mail and social media
- Free Workwise advertising resources including poster, leaflets and social media posts
- Enter Workwise competitions to win Workwise surprises
Spread the word of Workwise travel support. We can help you promote it on your social channels, to your email database and with your internal teams.
For wording, posters and images, visit our Asset Bank.
To become a Workwise referral partner, invite us to an event or meeting or request a Workwise welcome pack, e-mail; email@example.com
- Free digital travel training workbook and manual.
Travelling or looking for work beyond your usual area of travel can be a little daunting. However by using our Travel Information Package individuals can learn to navigate their way through maps, timetables and ticketing costs to expand their travel horizons and make them more accessible for employment.
The package is designed to be used as part of a training programme or curriculum. It includes discrete learning modules with questions and answers prepared to Level 1 of the Adult Literacy, Numeracy and ICT Core Curriculum. The package also has an additional section to assist with personal budgeting, so trainers can include them in training materials, if required.
Our youth forum is a great addition to a CV. Help Transport for West Midlands shape the future of transport.
- Aged from 12-24 years,
- Interested in all things transport related in the West Midlands
- Meet up once per term
Top tips for walking and cycling at work or home
- Free access to cycle hubs and secure bike parking
- Top tips for safety and maintenance
- Local walking and cycle routes
- Bike shops and bike hire
Jobs, apprenticeships and work experience - Where can your career take you?
We create an environment where you can learn, grow and thrive.
We offer opportunity for you to build lasting relationships and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value matter.
Our vision is to build a healthier, happier, better connected and more prosperous West Midlands.
You could contribute towards making this happen.
Take a look at our suite of Business Travel Savings
Reduce car park congestion, improve green credentials and provide an attractive employment benefit.
Help when it's needed
If you're a business in any affected area or your employee's commute may be delayed, we want to hear from you.
If you would like more information about how Workwise can help you, want to become a Workwise partner or to sign up to our newsletter, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 0121 214 7436
Write to us: Workwise, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3SD.