Workwise: Helping you on your way to your new job
If you are an organisation interested in Workwise, discover more information about how we can help.
Workwise travel support offers eligible jobseekers and apprentices 50% off the full-cost price of most selected West Midlands Network (WMN), National Express buses (NX bus) and Metro travel passes for up to 3 months when starting a new job. You can also apply if you are increasing your hours to 16 or more per week.
Please read through the eligibility information and our frequently asked questions. Please note, your application will be assessed in line with our eligibility criteria. If you do not meet one or more of these, we will not be able to proceed with your application but you can use our ticket finder to discover other ways to save on travel.
You must apply online.
Workwise is a transport operator funded scheme offering travel assistance for eligible jobseekers and apprentices who have started a new job.
Workwise offers a 50% discount off the full-cost purchase price of eligible WMN, National Express buses (NX bus) and Metro travel passes for up to 3 months.
The scheme can also support those who are currently working and are increasing their working hours to 16 or more per week.
Our team will recommend a suitable travel pass which will be valid within the West Midlands Area.
- nNetwork for travel on different types of transport: Bus, train and Metro travel
- nBus for travel on different bus operators
- National Express West Midlands bus only
- Metro for travel on Metro only
- Travel outside the area: Contact us for more information.
To be eligible to apply for Workwise travel support, you must meet the following criteria:
- Live in a West Midlands Local Authority area: Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Sandwell, Solihull, Walsall and Wolverhampton. Note: You meet this condition if you are registered with a Jobcentre Plus office within the West Midlands area.
- You must have been unemployed or increasing your current work hours to 16 or more per week.
- Be working a total of 16 hours or more per week (this can be for more than one job).
- You must not have received Workwise travel support for new employment in the current financial year, i.e. since 1 April 2020. (The financial year runs from 1 April and 31 March.)
- Must attach proof of your job offer(s) and proof of your benefits (if applicable) to your Workwise application.
- You must make your Workwise application before or within 5 working days of your official start date
- Be aged between 16 to 65.
- Must provide a valid National Insurance number.
- Must not be supported with travel through other programmes.
It is your responsibility to confirm you meet all the criteria points, and you will be asked to prove your eligibility or provide information. Your application will be rejected if you are unable to demonstrate or prove you meet the above criteria.
You will be asked to upload evidence as part of your Workwise online application. We will need you to upload a recent, colour passport-sized photograph and proof of your job offer.
Please refer to the following instructions when uploading your evidence:
Upload a photo
You will need to upload a new photograph, even if you have an existing Swift card or photo card.
Your photograph must meet the following requirements:
- Be in full colour, No black and white photos or photos that contain filters such as Snapchat
- Be in passport style
- JPEG format
- Less than 4MB in file size
- Be in clear focus showing your full face, with no hats (unless worn for religious reasons) or sunglasses (normal prescription glasses are fine)
- Taken in good light
- You can take a selfie on your smart phone as long as it meets the above criteria
- Please do not upload: Images with a watermark, photographs with red-eye, photographs with other people in it or any photographs obscuring the view of your face.
Official confirmation of your job offer
We must see official proof of your job offer, please upload one of the following:
- A copy of your contract of employment, which must clearly show your official start date, contracted hours and appointment to role.
- An official email from your employer confirming the above points.
- An official email from your work coach, confirming your full name, address, national insurance number and the information from the first point.
- Please do not upload: staff rotas or timesheets, job role duties or spec sheets, confirmations of an interview, hand-written documents or text messages.
Read our FAQs to solve problems when uploading documents and common errors.
We are unable to provide you support through the Workwise travel scheme, if you fall under one or more of the following:
- If you’re being helped by another programme that provides travel support (e.g. Jobcentre Plus referral to the Work Programme, Work Choice or GBS Youth Employment Initiative).
- With travel costs for attending training programmes or interviews.
- If your application is made more than 5 days after your official start date.
- If you’ve already received help from us from 1 April to 31 March in the current financial year.
- If you live outside of the eligible area.
- If your place of work is outside of the West Midlands area.
- If you do not meet one or more of the points under our eligibility criteria.
We reserve the right to immediately withdraw any further Workwise travel support if you do not abide by our terms and conditions, or if the information you have provided in your application is false or inaccurate.
If Workwise can’t help, use our ticket finder to discover other ways to save on travel.
You will need to complete your Workwise application using our online application form.
If you need assistance with completing this form or with using a computer, please ask a friend or family member for help. If you are still registered with your job centre, you might like to ask your work coach for help.
Please note, it is your responsibility to apply for Workwise travel support within the agreed timescales and to provide all requested information.
We reserve the right to hold or cancel your application if we do not receive all the relevant information to assess your eligibility.
All our mobile apps are free to download.
Whether you want to plan your journey in advance, get live updates during your journey or plan a more sustainable walking route, you’ll find all the help you need to make your daily travel across the West Midlands Network area easier.
Swift Collector app
Your Workwise ticket will be provided to you on a Swift smart card. Swift is a transport smart card for buses, trams and trains in the West Midlands. This app activates your ticket so you can travel.
- Android 4.4+
- iPhone 7 or later with iOS 13.0+
West Midlands Network (WMN)
- iPhone iOS 7.0+
- iPod touch iOS 7.0+
- iPad with iOS 7.0+
- Android OS 4.0+
- BlackBerry OS 5+
Search for: NetNav
- Android 4.0+
- iPhone iOS 7.0+
- iPad iOS 7.0+
If you have a question or query, please visit our frequently asked questions page for help.
Other Pass Savings:
Other popular links
Our youth forum is a great addition to a CV. Help Transport for West Midlands shape the future of transport.
- Aged from 12-24 years,
- Interested in all things transport-related in the West Midlands
- Meet up once per term
Top tips for walking and cycling at work or home
- Free access to cycle hubs and secure bike parking
- Top tips for safety and maintenance
- Local walking and cycle routes
- Bike shops and bike hire
Jobs, apprenticeships and work experience - Where can your career take you?
We create an environment where you can learn, grow and thrive.
We offer opportunity for you to build lasting relationships and make an impact in a place where people, quality and value matter.
Our vision is to build a healthier, happier, better connected and more prosperous West Midlands.
You could contribute towards making this happen.
Take a look at our suite of business travel savings
Reduce car park congestion, improve green credentials and provide an attractive employment benefit.
Help when it's needed
If you're a business in any affected area or your employee's commute may be delayed, we want to hear from you.
If you’d like some more information about how workwise travel support, our team can help: