16-18 Photocard T&Cs
Conditions of Use
Am I eligible for a 16-18 Photocard?
- You are eligible for a 16-18 Photocard if
- you live at a property within the West Midlands area and that property would be covered by councils in Birmingham, Coventry, Solihull, Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall or Wolverhampton for council tax purposes, and
- you are 16 years of age (or will be 16 within 6 weeks of your application for a 16-18 Photocard) and you will be under 18 years of age on 1 September of the current academic year, and
- you are in full time education for not less than 12 hours per week and receive no payment or bursary for your studies (i.e. if you are paid to study for example on an apprenticeship or work placement scheme you will not be eligible).
- Please make sure you are entitled to the 16-18 Photocard before buying a child rate season ticket of any duration. Refunds can't be given if you find out later you're not eligible.
What can I do with a 16-18 Photocard?
- Your 16-18 Photocard allows you to buy either a child cash fare, a child season ticket or a child Direct Debit ticket from operators who are members of West Midlands Combined Authority Child Concessionary Fare Scheme ("the Scheme") with the following exceptions:
- It cannot be used to purchase child day rate tickets (only single tickets), and
- You must be able to present your card when purchasing your child cash fare or season ticket
- Your card must be kept with your child season ticket at all times.
- The terms that apply to the use of child season tickets can be found on the ticket in question and/or on the leaflets and application forms published in relation to those tickets (Operators may have additional conditions of use that you should make yourself aware of when purchasing the ticket)
- Journeys outside of the West Midlands area will require you to pay an additional cash fare or to purchase a child rate add-on to your season ticket.
When can I use my 16-18 Photocard?
- Subject to the September exceptions below, you must produce your 16-18 Photocard when purchasing child rate season tickets.
- You must always produce your 16-18 Photocard to buy child cash fares at the time of travel
- Child cash fares are only valid for travel
- to and from school/college (and that travel must be before 9.30am and between the hours of 3.30pm and 6.00pm) or
- in connection with the school or college curriculum outside these times;
- between Monday and Friday and in term time.
- You must produce your 16-18 Photocard for inspection on each journey and when requested to do so.
What must I not do with my 16-18 Photocard?
- Your 16-18 Photocard is valid for your use only. You must not share it or otherwise allow others to use it. If you do so this will be considered a fraudulent use of the 16-18 Photocard and you will forfeit the right to use your 16-18 Photocard without right to a refund.
Other important matters
- You are obliged to inform us and return your 16-18 Photocard if you cease to be eligible (i.e. if you move outside the relevant area or leave full time education). Card should be returned to Ticketing Delivery, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham B19 3SD
- By applying for your 16-18 Photocard you confirm that all information given to obtain your 16-18 Photocard is true and accurate. If we subsequently find out or are informed that the information given was not correct or accurate we reserve the right to confiscate or cancel your 16-18 Photocard and you will forfeit the right to use it
- Your 16-18 Photocard is eligible for one academic year and you will need to reapply each academic year and prove your eligibility
- Your 16-18 Photocard is not valid if it is damaged, defaced or altered in any way
- We may charge you for a replacement 16-18 Photocard if it is lost, stolen or damaged. Loss or theft of or damage to your 16-18 Photocard should be reported to West Midlands Combined Authority immediately
- Your 16-18 Photocard does not guarantee you a seat on any journey and does not give you priority over other passengers
- You are subject to the conditions of carriage of the Operators whose service you are using. Operators may require you to leave a service is you behave inappropriately.
- We reserve the right to refuse to renew your Photocard or to cancel or confiscate it if you behave inappropriately or are found to have taken part in anti-social behaviour or criminal activity whilst using or waiting for bus, train or metro services. Anti-social behaviour is any behaviour that may cause harassment, alarm or distress to other passengers and employees on the network. This could include but is not limited to:
- Verbal or physical abuse
- Damage at stops or on transport
- Graffiti and vandalism
- Drinking alcohol or being intoxicated
- Drug use or being intoxicated/under the influence of drugs
- Rowdiness and/or being part of a group exhibiting intimidating behaviour including swearing or using inappropriate, threatening or insulting language
- West Midlands Combined Authority reserves the right to alter prices or conditions of use at any time and will make such changes known to you via networkwestmidlands.com
- West Midlands Combined Authority reserves the right to refuse to reissue a pass at any time
- We will treat any data you provide with us in line with data protection principles. Further details can be found on our Privacy Statement
Note – September Exceptions:
- During August and September you can buy and use child rate season tickets valid for a term and Child Direct Debit tickets without a 16-18 Photocard while you wait for your new 16-18 Photocard to be delivered to you. You must have a valid 16-18 Photocard displayed with your ticket by 1 October for your child rate season ticket to remain valid.
- Child rate season tickets valid for less than a term or child rate cash fares can only be bought once you receive your 16-18 Photocard.
West Midlands Combined Authority / Network West Midlands
Tel: 0345 303 6760