Tram updates during the coronavirus outbreak
Last updated: 14 May
When using the tram please follow the safer travel guidance which includes the rules on wearing a face covering.
We recommend that you:
- plan your journeys in advance, and incorporate additional travel time
- choose a quieter time to travel and
- consider walking or cycling, especially for short journeys
Stay alert, stay safe, stay apart
The safety and well-being of our customers and team members remains our number one priority. It is essential that we stay alert and continue to do everything we can to prevent the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are working closely with Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) and other operators to ensure that a co-ordinated approach is in place to social distance across the region.
What Metro are doing:
We are monitoring the number of people using our service closely, to ensure that the timetable that we are operating meets the needs of our customers and allows social distancing to be maintained. We have increased the number of services to the usual level, with trams up to every 6 minutes on weekdays and 10 minutes at weekends.
- We regularly updates the website and My Metro app so that you can view quieter travel times – helping you to plan your journeys
- We are continuing with our enhanced cleaning regime, paying careful attention to touch points and surfaces.
- In addition to our enhanced daily cleaning regime, each tram is cleaned regularly using state of the art anti-static technology, designed to protect against 99.9% of bacteria including COVID-19.
- Our drivers are also opening doors automatically at all stops to help reduce surface contact.
- Colleagues have been provided with hand sanitisers and appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and we are sharing all the latest COVID-19 guidance with our team members, making sure they understand the need to self-isolate if they show symptoms.
We recognise that our efforts are also reliant on the co-operation of those using the service.
- We continue to raise awareness around social distancing, contactless payment and other measures that may limit the spread of the virus.
- Our Stay Safe, Stay Apart campaign can be seen across the network, reinforcing key messages with posters at stops, regular announcements on board our trams and across our socials
You can view our Staying COVID-19 Secure certificate and risk assessment here.